Starting Your Own Business is Possible!
Success Stories from the CMRC & Catalysr Multicultural Small Business Incubator Program
10 entrepreneurs participated in our 9-week pilot incubator program and two of them are currently running their small businesses in Australia. Check out their stories below!
walid elsabbagh - Koshari Korner
Walid Elsabbagh came to Australia as a skilled Marine Engineer from Egypt with five years of work experience, but even after one year of job search, he couldn't find an engineering job in Australia.
Egyptian food is not widely available in Australia. Walid saw an opportunity to bring it to food savvy Sydney-ites and alongside his wife Yusra Metwally joined our pilot program to launch 'Koshari Korner' in July 2016 - bringing a famous Egyptian street food, Koshari, to Australia.
Walid says his aspiration is for Koshari Korner to be available in every neighbourhood in Australia, and since launch the business has achieved:
- Stalls at prominent markets in Sydney including the Grounds of Alexandria and the Sydney Night Noodle Markets;
- TV story on SBS Business, online news coverage, and news story in the Daily Telegraph;
- Looking to scale in major Australian cities via a franchise model.
Check out the amazing Koshari for yourself!
Find out where Walid and Yusra are selling next on their Facebook page.
Long Phan - TTI Migration
Long initially came to Australia as an international student from Vietnam. He holds a Bachelor of Business, a Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law & Practice from Victoria University and a Master in Management from University of Wollongong.
Prior to TTI Migration & Investment Consulting, Long had worked across hospitality and education sectors, but he was not fulfilled by his work and was passionate to contribute back to both Australia and Vietnam.
Long was very excited when he saw an opportunity to assist successful Vietnamese entrepreneurs and investors to invest in and migrate to Australia via the pathway of Business Innovation & Investment Visa. With the provision requiring the visa applicants to invest at least A$300,000 in Australia - the Business Innovation & Investment visa would help inject significant capital into Australian economy, creating more jobs nationally.
After finding out what he can do to fulfill his dream, Long joined our cohort to develop this idea and launched Tien Thinh International (TTI) Migration & Investment Consulting – a migration and investment consultancy which provides:
- End-to-end migration support to successful Vietnamese entrepreneurs and investors who would like to invest in and migrate to Australia with their families.
- Support services to Australian & Vietnamese businesses that would like to expand their operation to other country.
- Initiatives to contribute to the overall $6 billion dollar bilateral trade relationship between Australia & Vietnam.
His team achievements so far:
- Offices set up in Australia and Vietnam
- Successfully connected with highly influential Vietnamese entrepreneurs and business networks in Vietnam
- Have a strong pipeline of clients who are pre-qualified and meeting the primary criteria for the grant of Business Innovation & Investment Visa